A great summer recipe when you are craving a burger. The grilled onions are an added bonus, and you won’t even miss the bun!
Ready in 20 Minutes
Serves 4 people
- 6-8 leaves of green leaf or butter lettuce
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 pound of lean ground beef, divided into 4 hamburger patties
- 2 medium Italian eggplant
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prep vegetables:
- Wash and dry lettuce and set aside.
- Slice tomatoes and set aside.
- Slice onion and set aside.
- Slice eggplant lengthwise into ⅓ inch slices, and brush both sides with olive oil and sprinkle with a little salt.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a pan over medium-low heat. Add onion to pan, season with salt and pepper, and saute until golden brown and soft. Remove onions from pan and set cooked onions aside.
- Grill eggplant over medium heat for 3 minutes on each side, or until tender. Tent grilled eggplant with foil to keep warm while burgers cook.
- Return pan used to cook onions to medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to pan. Place seasoned hamburger patties in pan and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side. You could also grill the burgers along with the eggplant.
- Assemble burgers:
- Top each cooked burger with onions, tomato slices, and avocado slices.
- Use two or three overlapping lettuce leaves to wrap each burger tightly.
- Serve burgers with slices of grilled eggplant.